Chicken and Pearl Barley soup is my all time favourite!
I’ve posted this recipe in the past, but worth posting again, it’s a hearty soup perfect for this time of the year.
Carrots and pumpkin can also be added to the recipe below, but I prefer the simplicity of just the onions and celery.
Not much to report at the market, the usual winter fruits are all excellent quality, and the winter veggies are fresh and plentiful.
This week’s early bird coupon code for a 5% discount is: CC22
Have a great week,
Chicken and Pearl Barley Soup (serves 10)
- 2 large brown onions (330 g), peeled and diced (or 1 onion and 1 leek)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large stalks celery (2 ½ cups), diced
- 1 kg (6) chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 cup (200 g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 litres chicken stock (Massels concentrated Chicken liquid stock is a good one)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chives and/or coriander, chopped
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot add the onions and the oil and sautee for 5 minutes until the onions soften and start to brown on the edges.
- Add the celery and sautee for 2-3 minutes, then add chicken drumsticks and sautee for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add pearl barley, chicken stock and water and bring to the boil
- Place a lid on the pot, turn heat down and simmer for 60 minutes, until the barley is soft and the chicken starts to fall off the bones of the drumsticks
- Remove drumsticks from soup pot and set aside to cool
- When cold, strip the meat off the bones (removing any fat) and add back to the soup along with pepper
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required
- Just before serving stir through most of the fresh herbs, reserving a little to garnish each bowl.